Teen Patti Game: Rules, Strategies, and How to Play Online for Real Money
Teen Patti is one of the best crowd-pleasing games in India. It is almost always played at family gatherings. Because of its simplicity, it is also a hit with drinking buddies. You can just rely on your instincts and leave the rest up to lady luck.
However, if you’re more serious about it and you’re looking to make huge profits, there are strategies you can use to increase your chances of winning. Keep reading, as I’m going to explain in-depth about the teen patti card game, rules, strategies, probabilities, and how to play it online for real money with responsibility.
What is Teen Patti?
It is more enjoyable with a group of at least four people. A standard 52 card-deck is used and each player is dealt three cards facing down at the start of the game. The objective of the game is to get the best three-card hand on the table.
What is Online Teen Patti?
Gambling has been a lot more fun and convenient since it went digital. Today, you can use any smart device with internet access to play teen patti online.
Interestingly, online teen patti is fun with virtual gamblers joining from different states or countries in real-time (live casino).
But whether you want to play among friends or with bots (a great option to help you get the hang of the controls and themes if you’re a beginner), that’s your choice. If you’re playing with humans, it means you’re playing live teen patti where real money is involved.
There are different trusted websites where you can play the teen patti card game online and score some sweet rewards, but we’ll get into that later. For now, let’s learn all that we can about the game and improve your skills.
Facts About Teen Patti
These are just a few facts about the teen patti game that you should know before you really get into playing:
- You don’t need a large bankroll. Teen patti is more or less a simpler version of poker, so you don’t need to bet as aggressively or spend a lot.
- Smaller bets mean longer play. Take your time.
- Your skill and strategies make all the difference. If you remain calm, you’ll be able to read the flow of the game and make more calculated moves.
- Your body language matters. Don’t get too excited and rush to bet if you have good cards, and try not to look disappointed and fold immediately if you have a bad hand. There’s always a chance to turn things around. Remember, other players are always watching. A good bluff could turn the tables.
How to Play Teen Patti Online?
Whether or not you’re familiar with poker games, the teen patti card game should be a cinch for you.
- It all starts with an international 52-card pack (without joker cards) and, of course, at least one other player.
- Note that the cards are ranked from the Ace (highest value card) to the number 2 (lowest value card).
- Once you’re ready to play, you’ll have to make your bet. I would recommend that you start small until you get used to the game (even then, a small amount would still be the safest option).
- The chips or stakes are always placed in the pot — the center of the table — and at the end of the game, the winner walks away with everything.
- After everyone has placed their bets, the dealer will begin to deal the cards face down, one at a time, in an anti-clockwise direction, until all the players have three cards each.
Players can choose to see their cards or play without looking at them. At this point, they can either call or raise. The player with the lowest hand at the end of each round will be eliminated.
The Teen Patti Sequence
Below is the hand ranking or the teen patti sequence from the highest to the lowest:
- Trail / Trio: This is also known as a Set and it occurs when you have three cards of the same rank e.g. Three Kings. Going by the face value, a trail of Aces (AAA) is the highest-ranking trail you can get, while a trail of 2s is the lowest ranking trail.
- Pure sequence / Straight flush: This consists of 3 consecutive cards that are all of the same suit. For example, if you have AKQ of Diamonds or QJ10 of Spades, you have a pure sequence. In some variations of teen patti, the highest-ranking pure sequence is AKQ of the same suit, followed by A23 and KQJ, while in others, the highest is A23 of the same suit followed by AKQ. Be sure to verify the rules of your teen patti game before you start.
- Standard Sequence / Straight: The difference between the pure sequence and the standard sequence is that this one consists of 3 consecutive cards that are not of the same suit. This means that you can have three different suits e.g. an Ace of Diamonds, King of Spades, and Queen of Clubs. You can also have just two suits (one card from a different suit and two of the same). The ranking is the same as the pure sequence — AKQ or A23 as the highest, depending on the rules.
- Colour: When you have three cards of the same suit, you have a “colour” or “flush”. In this case, the sequence doesn’t matter. What matters is the highest card in your hand. For example, if player 1 has A48 of Spades and player 2 has KQ9 of Hearts, Player 1 will win because A is the highest-ranking card. In the case where both players have the same top-ranking card e.g. player 1 has A48 of Spades and player 2 has AQ9 of Hearts, the second-highest card will be the deciding factor. This time around, player 2 will win because Q is higher than 8. If the top 2 cards are the same, the third-highest card will be the deciding factor. The best colour hand is AKJ and the lowest is 532 of the same suit.
- Pairs / Double: When you have two cards of the same rank, that’s a pair. For example, Ace of Diamonds, Ace of Hearts, and Queen of Spades. If two players have a pair, the pair with the highest value wins. So if player 1 has 77Q and player 2 has AA3, player 2 wins because a pair of aces beats a pair of 7s. There can be cases where both players have the same pair. If this happens, the third card will decide who wins. The highest-ranking pair is AAK and the lowest is 322.
- High card: This is the lowest hand in teen patti. If you have random cards that don’t fit into the other categories, your highest card will be used as the deciding factor. If someone else has a higher card than your best, you lose. And if another player has the same high card as yours, the second-highest card will decide the game. The highest hand here is AKJ and the lowest (and worst possible hand in the game) is 532.
Game Terms Used in Teen Patti
Before we look at the rules of teen patti, you need to understand the terminology so you won’t get confused.
- Ante/Boot: This is the entry fee you pay to play the game. It is the minimum betting amount that is required of each player. It can be in the form of money or chips and must be placed in the pot before the players are dealt their cards.
- Blind: This is another forced bet like the ante. The player next to the dealer bets a small blind (half of the standard bet) and the next player bets double the amount, so it becomes a big blind. Blinds are placed in even amounts.
- Blind Play: This is when a player places a bet without seeing their card(s). Since they are playing “blind”, they are allowed to bet half of the current stake. However, there is a limit on the number of turns you can place a blind bet.
- Chaal: Players that have seen their cards can play Chaal (call and raise). When you call, you have to place a bet that is at least equal to the amount placed by the previous player. If you raise, you can bet more than the current stake, however, it cannot be more than double the amount. This will be the new standard bet until another player raises.
- Fold/Pack: If you fold or pack, it means you’re giving up on your hand for that round and forfeiting your bet. This is usually the best option if you have a hand that sucks.
- Post: When a player leaves the game for a while, perhaps for a bathroom break or phone call, he has to pay a fee which is known as Post to re-join the game. The amount they’ll post will be the same as the amount of the ante during the time they missed.
- Show: This only happens when there are two players left in the game. If one of the remaining players decides to show his cards, the other player will be forced to do the same, otherwise, he’ll have to fold. Once the cards are on the table, the dealer will decide the winner by checking who has a higher ranking hand.
- Sideshow/Backshow: When a player requests to see the cards of the previous player, it is called a sideshow. If the player accepts, the two players in question will compare their cards. The player with the weaker hand will have to fold. If both players have the same hand, the player who requested the sideshow will be forced to fold. If the previous player rejects the request, the asking player will be required to bet again or fold.
The Rules of the Teen Patti Card Game
The rules of the game are pretty simple to understand. Once you learn them, you’ll be able to apply strategies easily. Teen patti is played in the following order:
- The players must agree on the ante or boot amount (minimum bet) and then place their stakes in the pot.
- The cards are dealt starting from the player on the immediate left of the dealer. Each player gets 3 cards facing down, including the dealer.
- Once the cards have been dealt, players can opt to see their cards (seen player) or bet without checking (blind player). Seen players have to bet at least twice the amount of the current stake but not more than 4 times, while blind players can play the normal bet amount.
- Players can either fold if they don’t like their cards or place a Chaal if they want to continue.
- The bets have to be in equal amounts. If a player bets 20 chips and another bets 40 chips, the next player will have to bet at least 40 chips as that would be the new standard stake.
- After the bets have been confirmed, the dealer will reveal his cards. If he gets a Queen high or better, he’ll qualify for the game. If his hand is higher than yours, you’ll lose your ante and bet wager, but if yours is higher, you’ll win both. And if the dealer fails to qualify, all the players will win money on the ante bet and get their stakes back. In the case of a tie, all the bets will be refunded.
- When all but one player folds in a game round, the player who placed a Chaal will win the pot for that round.
- When only two players are left, they will reveal their cards and the one with the highest hand will win the pot and also become the dealer in the next round.
Betting Limits in Teen Patti
There is a limit to how much money (or chips) you can bet or raise per round. In teen patti, there are four types of betting limits:
- Fixed Limit: Here, when players place a Chaal, the maximum raise allowed is twice the current call amount. So if, for example, the stake is ₹10, you can either call the ₹10 or call and raise it to another ₹10, making your bet ₹20. You cannot exceed this.
- Spread Limit: For this type, the host decides the maximum bet based on their betting rules. This amount will be the highest any player will be permitted to raise to. If the spread limit is ₹50, your Chaal will be limited to ₹50.
- Pot Limit: If your game has a pot-limit rule, the maximum raise allowed will be equivalent to the amount of money in the pot before your raise. This means that, if the sum of money in the pot is ₹20 and your minimum call is ₹5, you can call the ₹5 and raise it to ₹25 (minimum call, ₹5 + pot, ₹20).
- No Limit: As the name implies, there is no limit to how much you can raise the bet. You can go as high as your bankroll allows.
The Probability in Teen Patti
If you want to win the game, you’re going to have to do some math. Knowing the probabilities of teen patti is very important because it helps you know your chances of getting a top hand, based on the number of players in the game.
Once you know the probability and frequency, you’ll be able to read the pattern a little better and make the best possible bet each round.
The table below shows the probability, frequency, and odds of getting each of the teen patti hand types. Note that this only applies to the 52-card game. If we introduce the Joker cards, the figures would change.
|Trail/Three of a Kind||52||0.24%||424.00:1|
|Pure sequence/Straight Flush||48||0.22%||459.42:1|
Winning Strategies of Teen Patti
Like most casino games, the Teen Patti card game comes down to chance. However, it is very possible to shake things up with your skills and strategies.
The following are the best strategies for increasing your chances of winning in Teen Patti. Try testing them out on your friends before getting into a serious game.
1. Keep your Stakes Low
The safest and smartest thing you can do, especially as a beginner, is to start with low-value stakes, even when you’re feeling confident. Small bets reduce your risk of losing and also give you more time to guess the other players’ moves and catch up. You can always raise your bets, but make sure to do so in small amounts.
2. Don't Forget to Bluff
Bluffing is a powerful strategy that can help you win, no matter how weak your hand is. You have to make other players believe that you have a better hand so that they’ll fold.
If you’re playing a physical game, you can use your body language and bets to fool others. If you’re playing an online game, you’ll have to really use your betting skills.
For example, if you’ve been placing small bets and you suddenly increase your bet, players might think that you finally landed a strong hand, so the ones who don’t have a good hand in that round will most likely fold.
3. Go Big or Go Home
This is the opposite of the first strategy. It works if you have a good hand or a weak hand. You simply start the game by placing huge bets. Just like bluffing, players will think you got a lucky hand and some will fold.
4. Fold to Save Money
Nobody wants a bad hand, but what do you do when you get dealt one and you’re not confident in your betting skills? Fold. You fold. Don’t be discouraged, folding keeps you from losing more money. However, you can’t keep this up for long. You’ll eventually need to play a Chaal.
5. Blind Play Pays
Blind players are allowed to bet smaller amounts. This means that they lose less and get to stay in the game for longer. You’ll have more chances to win if you play blind for a few rounds.
6. Mystery is Key
I know it can be hard to contain your excitement when you get a really good card, or your disappointment when you get a bad one, but please try to maintain a neutral composite throughout. If you get a good hand, keep calm, and don’t rush to raise. Enjoy the game and give everyone a nice shock at the end!
Variations of Teen Patti
We all know how boring games can get after a while, especially when we’ve mastered them and experienced several winning streaks. This is why games like Teen Patti have variations, to keep you hooked. Let’s take a look at the different versions.
- AK47: No, not the assault rifle. This is just a variant of the game. Here, the Aces (A), Kings (K), 4s, and 7s are considered wild cards or jokers.
- Best-of-four: Players are dealt four cards instead of three and are required to make the best possible three-card hand from the cards.
- Bust card draw: After the dealing stage, the dealer draws a random card and dubs it a bust card. Players holding a card of the same rank will have to fold.
- Cobra: Here, each player is dealt one card and required to put a pre-decided amount into the pot. After that, all the players pick their cards up (without looking) and put them on their foreheads for everyone (except themselves of course) to see. Once the players are done viewing the opponents’ cards, they can decide to bet if they think that their card has the highest value.
- Community: If you’ve played Texas hold ’em poker before, you’ll like this variant. Each player is dealt an incomplete hand of face-down cards, then the dealer places a few face-up cards, known as community cards, on the center of the table. Players can combine these cards with the ones they were dealt to make a strong three-card hand.
- Draw: Unlike community, players are dealt a complete hand of face-down cards. They have the option to discard their unwanted cards and get new ones before or after placing a bet.
- High-low split: The pot is split between the player who has the best hand/high hand and the player who has the low hand.
- High wild: The two highest-ranking cards in a player’s hand are considered wild cards.
- Joker: Jokers can be used as wildcards in this game.
- Low wild: The two lowest-ranking cards in a player’s hand are considered wild cards.
- Mufliss (lowball): The hand rankings are reversed in this game. This means that the player with the lowest hand wins.
- Stud: Each player is dealt a combination of face-down cards (hole cards) and face-up cards (street cards).
- Two-lowest wild: Players are dealt four cards each and, as you might have guessed from the name, the two lowest cards in each hand are used as wild cards. In the case of a pair, they will be used as a single wild card.
- Wild draw: This is similar to the Bust Card Draw. The dealer draws a card at random and labels it and other cards of the same rank as wild cards.
Where to Play Teen Patti Online?
There are several online casinos that offer Teen Patti. All you need is a good browser and internet access. You can even just download their app for faster access. If you want to play for real money, the following casinos have the best rules and bonuses:
Bonus up to ₹2000
Casumo casino offers players several options to choose from when it comes to payments. So deciding between withdrawal methods won’t be a hassle. Licensed under the stringent laws of MGA (Malta Gambling Authority), you can be sure of your security here.
200% Bonus up to ₹15200
Happy Luke Casino (Indian version: happyindia888.com) offers an extensive and generous welcome package, which makes it ideal for both casual players and ones seeking higher stakes.
Up to ₹80,000 Bonus + weekly cash prizes
Leovegas has their biggest strengths in their mobile casino. Their app stands out as the best on the market. This is one of the strongest t casinos overall online in India
100% up to ₹10.000 welcome bonus
Pure Casino offers crypto currencies among their strong selection of payment methods. Play the most recent new slots, casino games and snatch your self a welcome bonus at Pure casino today
Bonus up to ₹100000
Royal panda casino offers players several options to choose from with payments. So deciding between withdrawal methods won’t be a hassle. Licensed under the stringent laws of MGA (Malta Gambling Authority), you can be certain of your payments here. The transactions are encrypted and invisible.
100% bonus up to ₹20000
Twin Casino is all about great offers, excellent games, and an ultimate casino experience for every Indian player. They have excellent welcome offers, nicely packaged with free spins and bonuses. It is licensed by MGA (Malta Gambling Authority) and boasts some of top-notch gaming providers
Playing Teen Patti Online for Real Money or Free?
You know what they say, practice makes perfect. I would advise you to play as many Teen Patti games as you can for free before you start playing for real money. Losing your money can be devastating, so ensure you really understand how the game works, how to mitigate your losses, and also how to boost your odds. When you have enough experience, you can start betting for some serious money.
Is it Legal to Play Teen Patti in India?
However, it is illegal to play the game in a land-based casino or on Indian grounds. This is because, according to the Public Gambling Act of 1867, Teen Patti is a game of chance, and only games of skill can be played with real money in India.
I hope you’ve found this guide useful. Teen Patti is really an easy game to play, you just need to be very observant and play your cards right, literally. As long as you follow the rules and apply one or more of the strategies that I explained, you’ll be able to score some points. Go ahead and join any of the casinos I recommended. Enjoy the game!